Compliance Counsel - Oldham, UK
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
The Legal and Compliance Department is seeking a Compliance Counsel to join our global Legal and Compliance team to support our worldwide business operations. You will report to the company’s General Counsel, Vice President, Legal, and Compliance and Sustainability.
The purpose of this position is to advise and provide legal, compliance and regulatory support and counsel concerning the company’s business, products and services. Responsibilities include the following:
- Provide advice on a wide range of legal and regulatory compliance issues (including data protection/privacy, cybersecurity, product liability, trade compliance);
- Effectively partner with internal stakeholders to review and provide guidance on business activities and initiatives to help ensure compliance with applicable laws, regulations and company policies;
- Draft/review, negotiate and approve commercial transactions as needed to ensure compliance with applicable laws, regulations and company policies;
- Develop new and enhance existing compliance-related policies and procedures, and strengthen the overall compliance program, processes, monitoring and testing;
- Develop risk assessment processes to identify compliance risk areas and develop/implement plans to resolve compliance issues.
- Provide recommendation on risk-mitigation measures, preventive and corrective actions;
- Develop and deliver compliance and legal trainings concerning a wide variety of topics;
- Manage litigation and pre-litigation matters (including supervising, managing and evaluating outside counsel on litigation); and
- Conduct internal investigations of alleged violations of laws, regulations and company policies in close collaboration with other legal, HR, internal audit personnel.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- In good standing and admitted to at least one state bar in the US or licensed to practice law in the UK; and a minimum of 5 years of experience at a law firm, corporate law department, government or equivalent experience.
- Experience with the international regulatory and business environments as well as cross-border transactions;
- Ability to spot issues, tackle new subject matter areas and creatively solve problems independently and in a team environment;
- Strong advocacy, critical thinking, and analytical skills with the ability to clearly make reasoned recommendations;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to work across all levels of the organization;
- Strong interpersonal skills and proactiveness in providing risk-aligned counsel to internal clients;
- Ability to organize and prioritize work in a fast-paced environment, and balance attention-to-detail, strategic thinking, and deliver results;
- Ability to build relationships and work collaboratively with a diverse international team; and
- Prefer candidates with a global mindset and international experience (educational, professional or otherwise).
To apply for this position, please send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com.